Many women are asking if you can still get an abortion in Missouri. Here’s the breakdown of the current Missouri abortion laws.
As you probably know, a big shift happened in June 2022 when Roe v. Wade was overturned by the Supreme Court.
For almost 50 years, the Roe. v. Wade ruling had made abortion legal in the United States through all nine months of pregnancy.
Of course, limitations were in place based on individual state laws, even before June 2022.
But what about now?
Can you still get an abortion in Missouri today?
The short answer is, no.
Due to a trigger law that has been in place since 2019, once the “right” to abortion was overturned by the Supreme Court at the national level, abortion in Missouri was automatically banned.
The current Missouri law effective June 24, 2022, the “Right to Life of the Unborn Child Act” reads:
“Notwithstanding any other provision of law to the contrary, no abortion shall be performed or induced upon a woman, except in cases of medical emergency. “
Why did Missouri ban abortion?
In the “Missouri Stands for the Unborn Act“, lawmakers point to many reasons that abortion should be banned. Just a few of those include:
- The fact that less was known about human development in 1973 when Roe v. Wade was passed
- Science now confirms that at conception, a new and distinct human being is formed
- The observation that “unborn children have all the qualities and attributes of adult human persons differing only in age or maturity. Medically, human life is a continuum from conception to death.”
- Precedents set by higher courts regarding the protections provided to unborn children in previous cases throughout historical record.
- A heartbeat as a “discernable sign of life at every stage in human existence”, which can now be seen on ultrasound image very early in pregnancy
- The observation that stress as well as pain can be felt by an unborn baby
- Long-term physical and psychological effects of women who have abortions
Options for Women in Missouri
Fortunately, another thing that has changed since 1973 when Roe v. Wade was passed, is the abundance of help available for women who are unsure about their pregnancy.
The message that we strive to send – along with other agencies we partner with – is that all life can be honored and valued, even in the most stressful circumstances.
We exist to provide help and hope, and to offer real options that everyone gets to live with.
Best of all- our services are completely free! (Including ultrasounds, pregnancy tests, and so much more.)
Our organization is a nonprofit which empowers women through education, resources, and support.
So if you’re facing an unexpected pregnancy and aren’t sure what to do- contact us!
Hit the chat button on this screen, or text 417-275-0095 for more information or to schedule an appointment.
We’re here for you.